Mednovus proudly presents a practical
and affordable instrument for MR Safety:
SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER
The SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER fully complies with
MR Safety mandates
from the American College of Radiology (ACR), The Joint Commission (TJC),
and Facilities Guidelines Institute (FGI).
FERROMAGNETIC (ONLY) DETECTION
We are honored to have the handheld SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER in many hundreds of very serious MRI facilities - including major University Hospitals, Community Hospitals and Regional Medical Centers, numerous VA Medical Centers, Military Hospitals in the United States and overseas, many renouned Children's Hospitals, and Free-standing MRI centers. The SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER is utilized in 9 of the 'Top 10' hospitals in America.
We stand behind our SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER 100 per cent. Our commitment to you is to deliver a superior MR Safety System, with outstanding pricing, and the first-class customer service your MRI facility deserves!
SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER: 110v. version and battery-operated EAGLE
- Two SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER versions are available: our corded AC version (110v.), and our battery operated EAGLE® (non-lithium rechargeable 9 v. battery).
- For reference: The sensor systems are similar, with the main difference being that the AC version is a little louder, as the instrument can be driven ‘harder’ with 110v. than with a 9v. battery.
- The EAGLE rechargeable battery version is especially suited for mobile units and medical facilities with predominately ambulatory walky-talky patients.
- The AC unit can be preferred in facilities with significant ambient noise, such as gurney-bound patients from the ER, etc.
Special Volume-Discounted Enterprise Pricing is available for the SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER, which includes a beautiful custom mount, FOB shipping to your site, and Mednovus warranty.
FACTS ABOUT THE SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER
Can the TARGET SCANNER be used for the chest area?
- We do not actively market the TARGET SCANNER for threats inside the body. Incidentally, however, a number of pacemakers or defibrillators have been found in patients who absolutely denied having these devices - sometimes to 2 and even 3 MR Technologists!
- To maximize safety for your patient, screen the chest area AFTER you have asked your patient if he or she has a pacemaker or defibrillator. If the patient denies having one of these devices, you may certainly screen this area.
- The passive NON-RADIATING DC magnetic field of the TARGET SCANNER is many times less than DC permanent magnets sometimes used for ferromagnetic threat location on patients (‘MRI Test Magnet’ = typically 2,000 – 3,000 G.) – and many many times less than the DC field of the MR magnet itself - for which the patient has been medically cleared (15,000 – 30,000 G).
- Nevertheless, as a safety precaution, do not allow the TARGET SCANNER to rest on the chest for prolonged periods of time. However, screen the chest area AFTER you have medically cleared your patient for MRI.
PACEMAKERS AND NEUROSTIMULATION DEVICES: As stated above, while we do not market the SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER for finding pacemakers/neurostimulators and other objects within the body of the patient, the SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER has incidentally found a number of pacemakers in patients who absolutely denied them; and, based upon this historical denial, were medically cleared to enter the huge field of the MRI machine (15,000 - 30,000 G).
Because of the SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER – used as a second line of defense AFTER the patient was medically cleared for MRI – these patients were saved from the potentially ominous consequences of undergoing MRI. For such patients, the SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER prevented a potential disaster.
NOTE TO PATIENTS:
- As stated above, the SAFESCAN Target Scanner is not intended or marketed for determining whether metallic objects INSIDE the body are ferromagnetic or nonferromagnetic.
- The decision to have an MRI - or not to have an MRI - is a medical decision, based upon an analysis of the risk of the MRI procedure vs. the potential benefit involved. This decision must be between you as the patient and your doctor.
- If there is any issue about safety, please ask your doctor if there is an alternative to MRI which would provide the required medical information. And if your doctor can find out about the implanted metallic material from the manufacturer, this can be very helpful.
- If there are unanswered questions regarding the implant in question, it is always best to do what is safest - again, a decision made between you and your doctor.
Can the TARGET SCANNER be used for the head area?
- Screening the head area is recommended and advised - but to be absolutely safe, avoid rubbing the TARGET SCANNER directly against the eye.
- The reason for this is that the small field of the TS (many times LESS than the sometimes used 'MRI Test Magnet'), could, at least potentially, move a ferromagnetic object if deep within the eye. We have done experiments with human eye bank eyes demonstrating that this is extremely unlikely, because the TARGET SCANNER's field is so small relative to the field required to move an intraocular particle.
- And it is very rare to have ferromagnetic material deep within the eye itself (intraocular), especially without serious ocular manifestations -- including severe inflammation and usually profound loss of vision.
Note: Corneal FM foreign bodies (i.e., embedded in the cornea but not intraocular) are common in certain professions, such as welding and shop work. Patients with corneal foreign bodies almost always have pain and excessive tearing - symptoms that there is something wrong with their eye. Patients exhibiting these ocular symptoms must first and without delay be referred to a competent eye doctor prior to MRI.
Is the field of the TARGET SCANNER 'strong'?
- The SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER employs a small DC permanent magnet to enhance detection capability, especially for non-premagnetized 'ferromagnetically-hard' threats.
- The use of this field increases sensitivity-detectability significantly vs. not using this field, and rather relying instead only on the Earth’s field and any fringing field in the area.
- The small passive DC NON-RADIATING field of the TARGET SCANNER does NOT affect in any way MRI quality, nor will it erase credit cards or affect cell phones.
- Other examples of a passive non-radiating field emitting no RF are a refrigerator magnet, and the small magnet sometimes given out in meetings by Junk Architects.
Note: Metal detectors DO have a radiating magnetic field, although in fairness to most metal detector companies, this is not of great clinical significance as long as caution is exercised.
- The TARGET SCANNER’s field is many times smaller than the ‘MRI Test Magnet’ sometimes used for patient pre-screening. The MRI ‘Test Magnet’ can have a field as high as 2,000 - 3,000 G.
What about the field of the MRI, for which the patient has been medically cleared?
- For a duration of several seconds (TARGET SCANNER) vs. 30 minutes (MRI), the relative time differential is some 300 times.
TARGET SCANNER: small non-radiating DC magnetic field, which decreases to 1 G. at 1 foot
Duration of test: 6 seconds or less per area
MRI: huge DC magnetic field: 15,000 - 30,000 G.
Duration typically: 20-35 minutes
How is the TARGET SCANNER properly used?
- The proper use of the TARGET SCANNER is very important, and if not used properly, it will not be nearly as effective.
- Moving the TARGET SCANNER briskly in small circles gives the greatest sensitivity.
- And it is not necessary, and in fact, undesirable, to rub the instrument directly on the patient's skin, and we do not recommend this.
- It is important, however, to get close, as the signal from a ferromagnetic object decreases to the cube of the distance, as you know. 3 times further away is 3 x 3 x 3 = 27 times reduction in sensitivity.
How is the Target Scanner cleaned between uses?
The SAFESCAN Target Scanner is classified as 'Reusable Medical Equipment,' and, as such, can be readily cleaned between uses with an alcohol wipe or sponge, or other standard medical disinfectant solution.
Does the Target Scanner require periodic maintenance?
- The Target Scanner goes through an alarm test cycle every time it is turned on.
- No preventative maintenance is required, but it is recommended to visually inspect the instrument before every use.
- To make certain that the instrument is in proper working order, it should therefore be turned off after every use, thus allowing the alarm test cycle to occur.
- An excellent and readily available test object is the MR Technologist's watch dial (almost invariably ferromagnetic). The watch dial should elicit an alarm response.
- If any material, such as a paperclip, is attached to the Target Scanner's elevated red area (the scanning area), the alarm test cycle will show that the instrument is NOT ready for clinical screening.
CONSCIENTIOUS RISK MANAGEMENT
Not only does the SAFESCAN® Target Scanner™ go through an alarm test cycle every time that it is turned on - but an excellent double-check is to use the Target Scanner™ on your watch-dial (as this is almost invariably ferromagnetic).
WEEKLY FORMAL CHECK COMPLETE WITH WRITTEN DOCUMENTATION: For this purpose, a paper clip scanned at one inch by moving the Target Scanner™ in small circles works very well.
* * * * *
SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER - Clinical Implementation
Mednovus, Inc. is working closely with Dr. Emanuel Kanal, Professor of Radiology and Neuro-Radiology at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC), and the lead author of the ACR MR Safety Guidance Documents, for needs assessment, practical clinical implementation requirements, and formal testing.
On Dr. Kanal's recommendation, SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNERS have been purchased for all the UPMC facilities (36 and counting) in the greater Pittsburgh area. This is from Dr. Kanal:
I am most pleased with the sensitivity, portability, performance, and affordability of the SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER handheld ferromagnetic detector and will continue to use it as an integral part of my patient safety screening.
| Emanuel Kanal, MD, FACR, FISMRM
Professor of Radiology and Neuroradiology
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
We invite you to contact PROSCAN to learn what they have to say about SAFESCAN, and why they chose to deploy SAFESCAN ferromagnetic screening tools throughout their entire enterprise (20+ facilities).
| Judith Turner, Vice President
PROSCAN Reading Services
Direct: (513) 229-7115
- I am most pleased with the sensitivity, portability, performance, and affordability of the SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER handheld ferromagnetic detector and will continue to use it as an integral part of my patient safety screening. I love these! (Prof. Emanuel Kanal, MD, and lead author of the ACR White Papers for MR Safety, with 36 Target Scanners at UPMC)
I must say your company has the best customer service I’ve ever seen in this business, and I’ve been doing imaging since 1989! (Major Top Ranked Los Angeles University Medical Center)
- As the Lead MRI Technologist here at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, I can say we have been very pleased with the MRI SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER. We have been better able to serve our Soldiers and Defenders of the US who have had unfortunate traumatic events in the Middle East. Having this instrument has allowed us to proceed with MRI scans which would have been deferred to other modalities based on the radiographic evidence of metal. We have on many occasions used the TARGET SCANNER to make a determination on the safety of performing an MRI exam. This product is a great asset to any MRI facility, and the amount of customer support from Mednovus has been remarkable. (Lead MR Technologist, formerly at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center/Gemany, and now at a major US Army Medical Hospital)
- I will give the SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER the rave reviews it deserves. (Prominent West Coast University 'Top 10' Children's Hospital)
- The TARGET SCANNER is worth its weight in gold; we use it on every single patient. (Major New York City Teaching Hospital - 20+ Target Scanners)
- I'm very happy with our Target Scanners and think your customer service is totally exceptional... I appreciate our relationship. (World-renowned Medical Institution, Midwest US)
- I have great respect of the way you are doing business. I will definitely continue to recommend your SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER as the primary choice for an affordable and efficient MRI safety screener. (Midwest Hospital)
- We received our scanner - and we love it! (Regional Medical Center, Alaska)
- We are delighted with the performance of the SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER and with Mednovus. (Major US Government Research Hospital)
- It was very nice speaking with you as you provided all the information needed to discuss with my Safety Committee. Thank you for taking the time to educate me about the SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER. (Pennsylvania Hospital, now with 7 TARGET SCANNERS)
- We cannot do without our TARGET SCANNERS. We have 4 you know. :) (Southeastern Hospital)
- I have been able to use your hand-held TARGET SCANNER before and liked it very much. I have now changed places of employment and would very much like to purchase a TARGET SCANNER for my new facility. (US Government VA Medical Center)
- The quality of the SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER and the service are both excellent. (Midwest University Health System)
- The SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER has been a big hit for the first week. As our efforts continue to provide the safest care possible, the TARGET SCANNER has already complemented our efforts. Our directive as of now is to acquire these for all of our Midwest location magnets. (Major Catholic Healthcare Organization - 16 more ordered)
- Thanks for the GREAT customer service! (Healthcare organization throughout Georgia)
- It is a pleasure working with you, and every representative of Mednovus! (Regional Healthcare Organization, Indiana)
- We received the TARGET SCANNERS. They are installed and working great! (Midwest Hospital System)
- Thank you for doing such a wonderful job explaining your SAFESCAN products and taking the time to make sure we understand how to use them. Everyone with MEDNOVUS has been a pleasure to work with. Again, thanks to you and your team. (Kentucky Hospital)
- It is a pleasure working with you and your team. You truly define 'Excellent Customer Service,' and we look forward to a long partnership with Mednovus. (Silicon Valley Group of MRI Centers)
- Regarding: SAFESCAN TARGET SCANNER, You have a fine product. (An Esteemed Ethical 'Competitor' of Mednovus Selling Ferromagnetic Detection Systems)